Removing glue from fake nails can be troublesome, especially when using glue with strong adhesive properties such as gorilla glue. You need to follow a certain procedure to safely get the glue off your nails without damaging them.
So, how to remove gorilla glue from fake nails? To remove gorilla glue from fake nails, you will first need to soften the glue by soaking your hand in warm soapy water then rubbing your nails gently with a towel soaked in oil. Once the glue is soft enough, gently pry the fake nails off. You can also exfoliate the top of your nails with cream or an emery board to remove any remaining bits of dried glue.
Keep reading to learn more about the properties of gorilla glue and how to safely remove it from your nails.
What You Need to Know About Gorilla Glue
Gorilla Glue is one of the most popular American glue brands. It was originally invented in the 1990s and was mostly used in the woodworking industry. Later on, it was developed for public use and introduced to the U.S. market.
It’s very strong, long-lasting, and completely waterproof. It can be used on various kinds of surfaces including metal, stone, ceramics, foam, plastic, and even glass.
What Makes Gorilla Glue Difficult to Remove?
Gorilla Glue can be very difficult to remove and sometimes almost impossible. This is because the glue is made from a base chemical compound called polyurethane. Which gives the glue the ability to create a strong bond with any kind of surface.
You cannot use heat to soften the glue because of how flammable it is. And since the glue is also resistant to water, it cannot be removed by simple rinsing or even by using typical solvents such as acetone because it won’t fully penetrate the layer of the glue. However, it might make it loose enough to be scrubbed off.
That’s why it’s important to be cautious when applying Gorilla Glue because it will be very challenging to completely remove it from any surface as well as your skin.
Can You Use Gorilla Glue to Apply Fake Nails?
You can use Gorilla Glue to apply fake nails, however, it’s extremely not recommended as it will be very difficult to remove and can cause a lot of damage to your real nails as well as your skin.
Nails are highly sensitive and will weaken significantly when exposed to the chemical formula of Gorilla Glue. It might cause your nails as well as the cuticles to turn black which will be very unattractive.
Attempting to remove fake nails that were applied using gorilla glue might cause your real nails to break off from your skin which can be very painful. Also, if the fake nails were broken off, it will create space for dirt, bacteria, and fungus to accumulate on which can cause a serious infection.
How to Remove Gorilla Glue from Fake Nails?
Removing Gorilla Glue from fake nails is a difficult procedure that needs to be done carefully which is why it’s highly recommended to seek a nail professional for help.
However, if you will be attempting to remove Gorilla Glue from fake nails by yourself, here are some steps you can follow to ensure you won’t cause further damage to your real nails:
- Do not attempt to take off the fake nail or pick at the dried glue as it will be very painful and can tear your skin making you more susceptible to infection.
- The first thing you need to do is soften the glue. Fill a large bowl with warm soapy water and soak your fingers in it for about 10 minutes. Make sure all of the glue is completely submerged in the water.
- While soaking your fingers, gently rub your nails in a circular motion using the tips of your fingers as this will help loosen the bond the glue has with the fake nail and your real nail.
- To soften the glue further, apply some olive oil to a cotton towel and rub it against your nails for 5-8 minutes. You can also use vinegar, rubbing alcohol, or lemon juice instead of the oil.
- Once the glue is soft enough, the fake nail will become looser making it much easier to pry off. Do not attempt to force the fake nail off as it might break or cause damage to your real nail.
- After removing all the fake nails, you will need to exfoliate your real nails to remove any remaining bits of dried glue from the surface.
- Rub some exfoliating cream or a mixture of coconut oil, baking soda, and salt onto your nails for at least 10 minutes. Make sure not to rub too hard so you wouldn’t weaken your nails.
- When you get all the glue off from your nails, use an emery board or nail file to smooth off the surface of your nails to improve their appearance. Make sure your hands and nails are completely dry before using an emery board or a nail file to prevent any damage to your nails.
Is Gorilla Glue Dangerous?
Gorilla Glue is very dangerous and needs to be used with caution because it contains various toxic substances. It’s highly flammable so it shouldn’t be exposed to any heat. It can cause severe irritation if it comes in contact with your skin or eyes. It also should never be inhaled or ingested as it might cause serious health issues.
What Kind of Adhesive Is Used for Fake Nails?
The kind of adhesive used for fake nails is Nail Glue. This kind of glue has been developed, tested, and deemed safe for use on human nails. It creates a strong bond but it’s also light and can easily be removed using acetone without causing any damage to your nails or skin.
How to Safely Apply Glue on Nails?
To safely apply glue on your nails, you need to clean your nails first by soaking them in soapy water and brushing them using a soft brush. Then, you need to trim your cuticles and file the top layer of your nails gently to make them smoother. Finally, you can spread the glue slowly on your nails and make sure to only use one drop of glue to avoid causing an unwanted mess.
If you like this article, share it!