Is Hot Glue Toxic To Animals? [Answers for Every Pet]

Hot glue is commonly used in households to make repairs as it can bond with various surfaces including fabric, rubbers, ceramic, metal, plastic, glass, and wood.

Some pet owners might use them to fix their pet’s toys which raises the concern of whether this kind of glue contains any toxic substances that could be harmful to animals.

So, is hot glue toxic to animals? Hot glue is not toxic to animals as it’s made from non-poisonous and acid-free ingredients. It might emit some fumes when heated which can cause slight irritation to the animal but it will not cause any serious harm. However, if the hot glue sticks were ingested, it might cause the animal some digestive problems.

Keep reading to learn more about what hot glue is made of and what to do if your pet ingested it.

What Is Hot Glue Made of?

hot glue gun to answer is hot glue toxic to animals

Hot glue is a synthetic adhesive made of one base chemical called ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA). This chemical is combined with various additives that act as tackifiers to give the glue its adhesive properties.

It comes in the form of solid cylindrical sticks of various diameters and it’s applied using a hot glue gun. When the glue is exposed to heat it will melt down and become sticky. As it cools down, it will start to solidify and bond with the surface it’s applied on.

Can Hot Glue Be Harmful to Animals?

Hot glue sticks are generally non-toxic and acid-free, but they can be harmful to animals if they’re not handled properly.

Let’s take a look at some of the cases where hot glue can be harmful to animals:

The glue can emit some fumes when heated. These fumes are not toxic but they might cause some irritation to animals with respiratory problems.

If animals come in contact with the glue while it’s still hot, it might cause them very minor burns or blisters.

If the hot glue sticks are ingested in large amounts, it will cause the animal some digestive problems.

What Happens If Your Pet Eats Hot Glue?

Although the hot glue sticks are non-toxic, your pet’s body will still reject and expel anything foreign when it’s ingested. So, if your pet ate hot glue sticks, it will mostly suffer from some digestive problems.

The severity of the symptoms your pet will experience will depend on how much of your pet has swallowed.

 If your pet eats a small amount of glue, it’s likely it won’t experience any symptoms at all. If bits of the glue are stuck in their teeth, it will only cause them some discomfort.

However, if your pet eats a large amount of the glue, it could cause a blockage in its digestive tract which will lead to symptoms such as indigestion, abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea

What to Do If Your Pet Ate Hot Glue?

If your pet has eaten a hot glue stick, there are some steps you need to take to assess the severity of the situation and ensure your pet is unharmed.

The first step is to remove any remains of the glue stick that your pet hasn’t swallowed from its mouth. Have your pet drink some water and make sure it can’t eat any more glue sticks by storing them out of reach.

If you can’t tell how much of the glue your pet has ingested, you need to monitor it closely to keep an eye out for any symptoms.

If your pet starts experiencing symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea, then it should be fine once its body is done expelling the glue substance. However, if the symptoms get more severe, it’s recommended to contact a vet to get proper treatment for the dog.

Related Questions

How to Remove Dried Hot Glue?

To remove dried hot glue, you can soak a cloth in rubbing alcohol as it will help loosen the bond between the glue and the surface. Use the cloth to wipe the surface the glue was applied on while focusing on the edges of the glue spot. Wait a few seconds before peeling the glue away using your fingers.

You can also check out this guide to removing glue from nails for more tips.

What Kind of Glue Can Be Dangerous to Animals?

The kind of glue that can be dangerous to animals is cyanoacrylate-based glue. This kind of glue starts to solidify quickly when it comes in contact with moisture. So, if animals ingest it, it will cause parts of their mouth and esophagus to seal shut leading them to suffocate. If the glue reaches their intestines or stomach, it will cause a blockage that can be fatal if not treated quickly with surgery.

Helpful Resources 

What is Hot Melt

If you like this article, share it!

Similar Posts